Wednesday 12 September 2012

Nigerians ARISE!

I read this write up by an incredible author Tunde Leye. Here he talks about the Nigerians that participated in the just concluded paralympics.  Scroll down to read more.

“I’m a writer of fiction majorly, but I feel compelled to do this… TL”
I saw the tweets and read the reports about the outstanding performance of our Paralympians at the just concluded Paralympics. And my thoughts kept going to their return, and what rewards awaited them. I do not know any of them personally, neither do I know what they do for livelihood. What I do know is that it will drive a stake through my heart if, two years from now, I find out that these Nigerians who have done us so proud live in penury and can barely eat and fend for themselves.
Therefore, when they came in yesterday and the reports were that no one from the sports ministry was at hand to welcome them, I ruled out the government as the source of their reward. But if the government won’t, then what can we do? Then I had this thought – these people embody great characteristics – work ethic, resilience, perseverence in the face of challenging situations, achieving beyond limitations. The list really is long. I’m sure there is a brand or two out there, a telecoms company, a bank, a manufacturer, an energy drink maker, a brand that operates in Nigeria that can use the Paralympians as brand ambassadors. It will provide them a guaranteed livelihood, an encouragement for others and importantly, an endorsement of these values. No CSR can be greater and no value proposition can be better.
So I’m appealing to all of you who have enjoyed reading the Fiction on this blog, to use all your influence, if you can reach anyone in the branding departments of these companies, by phone, at work, on FB, BB and Twitter, or if you can reach someone who can on radio, TV, print media, bloggers, please do. Until it happens. If you want to tweet about it, please use the hashtag #NigerianParalympians. Let’s make this happen and appreciate these people.
Pictures of these great Nigerian below. Pictures courtesy thenetng.com

Tunde is a Nigerian author, you can read more of his articles on http://tlsplace.wordpress.com/

No comments: